Beautiful Outdoor Spaces-Container Garden
Beautiful Outdoor Spaces: Container Garden
Not all gardens need to be planted in a large plot of land. Many plants can be grown in containers to either manage growth or to be easily moved indoors when cooler weather arrives.
Great Plants for Container Gardens
Almost any plant variety can be grown in containers. Herbs, vegetables and flowers can all be happily grown in containers.
- Patio tomatoes
Five Reasons to Grow a Container Garden
- Portability and suitable for many lifestyles. Even apartment dwellers can grow a container garden in a sunny window or on a balcony.
- Brighten up a small space.
- Beginner gardeners can try out new plants with very little commitment.
- Poor outdoor soil is not a problem when grown in containers.
- Great for plant lovers who have very little time to tend their garden.
It is also an ideal solution for anyone with limited mobility. You can create your container garden in an area of your home that is easily accessible.
Things to Consider
- Soil - Make sure your soil has enough nutrients for your plants. Choose a potting soil with perlite or bark so the pot has good drainage and enough organic material to absorb and hold moisture.
- Water - The amount of water needed will greatly depend on whether your plant is in a sunny or shady spot. More sun, more water. Smaller containers and clay pots will need to be watered more often than large pots or plastic containers.
- Sun – Your plant may need more sun depending on the variety. If your place does not get much sun at all, choose plants that need less sun.
- Container – Choose a container with enough space for your plant to grow and flourish. When in doubt, err on the side of a larger pot. Make sure there are drainage holes on the bottom.
Container gardening is an area of gardening that is quickly gaining popularity due to its ease and flexibility. Any living situation can accommodate a container or two. Apartment balconies, decks, patios, small courtyards can all be spruced up with a few containers with fresh herbs, vegetables or colorful flowers.
Beautify your outdoor (and indoor) space with a container garden!