Top 5 Lawn Care Tips for Spring
Top 5 Tips for Spring
Date: 4/26/11 | Season: Spring
Here are Swingle's top 5 tips for caring for you lawn in the spring so you can have a beautiful outdoor space to enjoy:
- Sprinkler Turn On - Spring has sprung and it is time to get your automatic sprinkler system up and running again. After sitting dormant for many months, you should get the system checked out to make sure it is in good working order, then once it's in working order, get it programmed for automatic watering.
- Soil Injections - Spring soil injections are great for long term residual control of insect pests. One injection can last for up to six months, or longer in some cases. Soil injections eliminate problems with spray drift, and have the added benefit of having very little exposure to people and pets.
- Insect Treatments - The warm spring sun tends to bring unwelcome pests out of their nooks and crannies and into your way. This is the ideal time to do an outdoor perimeter insect treatment on your lawn. Spraying a perimeter around your home creates a barricate to keep the pests out.
- Spring Tree Root Fertilization - This is the most important time for tree root fertilization, since trees have their highest need for nutrients in the spring. Spring is the growing season for trees, and fertilizing during this time will improve the health and appearance of your trees.
- Aeration - Aerating your lawn helps the health of your grass, and will resolve any thatch buildup problem your lawn may have. Aerating in the spring is recommended because aeration can be stressful to your lawn (disrupting the roots and regular growing habit), and lawns are actively growing in spring, which gives your lawn a great chance to recover very quickly. Aerating in spring will allow you to keep your lawn healthy and happy all summer long.