It’s the beginning of spring, which means many of us are thinking about getting a green, weed-free lawn. April is the perfect month to celebrate National Lawn Care Month and learn more about the benefits our lawns provide and what’s needed to keep them healthy and beautiful.
According to The Lawn Institute, “lawns trap more than 12 million tons of dust and dirt annually and it is estimated that a 50 by 50 foot lawn (2,500 square feet), releases enough oxygen for a family of four.” In a study conducted by Professional Landcare Network (PLANET), it was found that 81% of Americans say, “The upkeep of their yard is important to the overall look of their home.” The study also found that, “1 in 4 people’s favorite activity is relaxing on their lawn.” Our lawns provide us with many benefits, which is why it is essential to take care of them, especially in Colorado’s varied climate.
Here are some tips from the experts at Swingle to help you get your lawn green and keep it that way all season long!
The Three Essentials for a Successful Lawn:
- Raking: One of the most important factors in getting a homeowner’s lawn ready for spring and summer is to rake the lawn. Power raking is not recommended, just typical hand raking. Raking helps to dissipate fungus such a snow mold and helps promote growth in the lawn.
- Sprinkler System Activation and Inspection: Watering will be vital once the weather starts to warm up and key to getting your landscape up and growing. It’s best to have a professional irrigation activation to ensure your system is properly turned on and optimally functioning.
- Aeration: This is a must with any lawn care regimen. It is important in helping to maintain a healthy, beautiful, green lawn. Aeration will help to control weeds, improve soil structure, create growth pockets for new roots and help to maximize water and fertilizer absorption to your lawn’s roots.
Fertilization is Key:
- A pre-emergent fertilizer is recommended in the spring from March to mid-April. For the best results, work with a professional to have a split application applied to your lawn. A split application will help to suppress crab grass and some weeds. Swingle can use commercial grade lawn care products that will provide better results for your lawn all season.
Identify any Lawn Issues:
- Every lawn has different needs as the season changes. A good rule of thumb is to begin caring for your lawn after the last freeze. Identify what issues your lawn has to determine what repairs your lawn needs. If you are planning on seeding, it is best to use a starter-fertilization. Working with a professional will help to identify specific lawn issues you may have such as dog spots vs. lawn insect damage or fungal diseases.
Know What Your Lawn Needs:
- There are many mistakes homeowners can make. First and foremost, lawns can be set up to fail when homeowners are unaware of what their lawn truly needs. Lawn care is not a one-stop-shop. If a homeowner has any doubts about how to properly care for their lawn, its best to seek the advice of a professional. Swingle offers a full lawn care programs customized for your lawn.
Swingle Lawn Care Programs include:
- Swingle 100% Guarantee for Lawn Care
- Free Courtesy Visits
- Commercial Grade Fertilizer and Weed Control
- Fertilizer Specially Blended for Our Unique Climate
- Experts Notify Customers of Any Problems Throughout the Season
Free up your time this spring and let a Swingle expert help care for your lawn!